ICE®BAR Systems for E-mobility
E-mobility using renewable electric power is considered the most eco-friendly type of mobility. The European Commission plans to increase the share of e-powered vehicles in urban passenger and cargo transportation to 50 percent by 2030.
A high-capacity net of charging points must be rolled out for the growing fleets of e-vehicles. At the same time, short battery charging periods are crucial to ensure a high availability of electric vehicles.
Capital expenditure for charging points and their feeder systems can be significantly reduced by superconductor ICE®BAR systems.
DC charging technologies facilitate short battery charging cycles and, in the medium term, could make costly on-board charging equipment expendable. Fast charging systems at DC charging stations operate with currents of over 100 amperes already while in public transport charge currents of several hundred amperes are utilized for electrical buses. Currents required at charging points that serve several vehicles at a time will thus be quick to reach the kiloampere range.
ICE®BAR busbar systems are integrated turn-key solutions for e-mobility charging points. They provide
- security of investment: future capacity upgrades of will not entail replacing busbars thanks to the extreme current carrying capacity of their superconducting system
- easy implementation: ICE®BAR feeders enable supplying charging points from distant power transformers that are linked to the medium voltage grid. Moreover, ICE®BAR technology permits constructing DC grids that connect multiple charging points to a central transformer/converter unit.
- minimal construction effort: a space-saving and easy-to-install modular system can be deployed in place of conventional busbar installations
- economic operation: superconducting high current transmission and distribution entirely avoids ohmic loss
- lower health and safety expenditure: costly constructional and operational safety precautions become dispensable since ICE®BAR systems are fully encapsulated and both thermally and electrically decoupled from the ambience
Considerations on eco-friendly inland navigation are, at present, focused chiefly on the electric propulsion of freshwater lake ferries. Ratings of electrical drives applicable in larger-capacity fast ferries, as operative for example on Lake Constance, are around 1,500 kW and require very high charge currents in order to ensure time-efficient recharging of on-board or roll-on/ roll-off batteries.
ICE®BAR superconducting busbar systems can greatly facilitate establishing an appropriate infrastructure. ICE®BAR turn-key high current feeder and distribution systems enable
- e-ferry charging points with very high charge current capacities for fast charging and simultaneous charging of multiple ferries
- high-efficiency power supply from medium-voltage grids without on-site substations
- avoiding conventional busbar installations
- avoiding health and safety protection expenses required by conventional solutions
- improved operational economy with a loss-free high current System
Please contact us to discuss charging points for e-mobility with regard to your specific requirements.